Electricity Makes Our Lives Much Easier, But Always Be Cautious & Safe!
Flipping a light switch. Plugging in a coffee maker. Charging a laptop computer. These are second nature for most of us. Electricity makes our lives easier. However, we need to be cautious and keep safety in mind.
Here are some safety tips courtesy of the National Fire Protection Association.
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements.
- Only use one heat producing appliances such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc. plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
- Major appliances such as refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air-conditioners, microwave ovens, etc. should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
- Arc – fault circuit interrupters (AFCI’s). These shut off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs. Consider having them installed in your home.
- Use ground – fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). These reduce the risk of shock they shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchen, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
- Testing ACFIs and GFCIs: Once a month according to the manufacturers recommendations. You do not need a flame to start a fire. Fire is can start when heat builds up near things that burn. This can happen when a hot lightbulb is near things that burn. Things such as cloth or paper, or a cord that has been placed under a carpet.
- Use ground – fault circuit interrupters to reduce the risk of shock. These items shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home and bathrooms, kitchen, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
- Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
- Use a lightbulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts.
Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have:
- Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
- A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance.
- Discolored or warm wall outlets.
- A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance.
- Flickering or dimming lights.
- Sparks from an outlet.
Calumet City and SERVPRO are on a "mission from God"
SERVPRO Calumet City-Lansing team members are not actors, but they are stars!
SERVPRO of Calumet City-Lansing has been serving the Calumet City and surrounding communities for many years. As members of this community, we share a love for its rich history and continue to invest in its future. Calumet City is located in Illinois and borders Chicago and Burnham to the north, Lansing to the south, and the Illinois/Indiana border to the east. SERVPRO's warehouse is located just north of I-94 which allows us to respond to any emergency within minutes.
Calumet City is nicknamed "Cal City" and is most famous for being the home of the Blues Brothers, Jake and Elwood. Those characters cruised the streets of Calumet City tracking down their band members to save an orphanage. All the while singing and dancing their way into the hearts of millions. That movie put Calumet City on the map. Much like those legendary heroes, SERVPRO technicians cruise up and down Pulaski and Burnham Avenue ready for any sized disaster. From fire and smoke damage, to water damage and mold clean up, we too are on a "mission from God."
Here are some of the characters from SERVPRO of Calumet City-Lansing and their tasks. Every project is estimated and managed by a project manager. They are trained experts and equipped to locate issues with building materials or air quality during their initial inspections. We perform both surface sample testing and air sample testing (if needed) to locate smoke after a fire, moisture after a water damage, various fungi species when mold is present, and even certain bacteria when we are performing bio-remediation for viruses like Covid-19. These are some of our best and brightest staff members. Each is IICRC Certified and has OSHA Certifications as well. Then there's our production technicians, a host of characters from every walk of life. These men and women are the life blood of our staff. They bring our community back to life following flooding events, fires, tornadoes, and other disasters. They provided structural mitigation out in the field including fire damage cleaning, water damage extraction, and mold remediation services. Our in house teams take care of contents cleaning commonly refereed to as Coverage B Personal Property. Also IICRC trained and OSHA certified, there's nothing they can't shake a tail feather and get cleaned up.
Once a structure's damage is mitigated and the contents are handled, the stars of the show enter the picture. Our construction and repairs teams are entrusted with repairs and replacing building materials "Like it never even happened." From exteriors roofing, siding, and windows to interiors flooring, drywall, cabinetry and all the rest. SERVPRO of Calumet City-Lansing is a licensed general contractor used to working with Calumet City officials to bring homes and businesses back to life. With warranties unmatched in the industry, this is a show stopper.
Just like in the movies, when disaster strikes....SERVPRO goes into ACTION! Call our office today for a free estimate (708)627-0077
Job Opening- Production Crew Lead
Join our team today!
Production Crew Lead
SERVPRO® of Matteson-Homewood/ SERVPRO® of Calumet City-Lansing is hiring a Production Crew Chief
Do you love helping people through difficult situations?
Then don’t miss your chance to join our Franchise as a new Production Crew Chief. In this position, you will be making a difference each and every day. We have a sincere drive toward the goal of helping make fire and water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations, enjoys meeting new people, has excellent communication skills, enjoys supervising others, and is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you’ll thrive in this work environment. Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero!
As a valued SERVPRO® Franchise employee, you will receive a competitive pay rate, with opportunity to learn and grow.
Explain process and answer customer questions, as needed.
Monitor, communicate, and respond to customer needs/concerns.
Communicate clear expectations to Production Technicians and supervise their activities.
Perform production processes as scheduled and ensure quality control.
Identify safety hazards, communicate, and establish control measures to ensure the safety of occupants and workers.
Manage job file documentation to ensure complete and accurate project details.
Manage and control costs of production projects.
Manage assets by protecting and using equipment and materials properly.
Effective written and oral communication
Basic math skills
Experience in cleaning/restoration preferred
High school diploma/GED
IICRC certifications preferred but
Minimum of 2 years mitigation experience
Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds regularly, occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance
Ability to climb ladders, work at ceiling heights, work in tight spaces (e.g., crawl spaces, attics)
Ability to sit/stand/walk for prolonged periods of time
Ability to repetitively push/pull/lift/carry objects
Ability to work with/around cleaning products/chemicals
Ability to travel locally and out of state when necessary
Ability to successfully complete a background check subject to applicable law
Ability to work on call/nights/ and weekends
Preferred to live within service area